Last week I saw this recently released video for Vampire Weekend’s “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.” It’s a fun video, even though I don’t really understand it (I have a similar reaction to the band’s lyrics), but what stands out for me is how everyone is dressed. Between this band and Gossip Girl, the preppy revolution is coming back strong! Don’t get me wrong — I’m into the clean look of it all — but sometimes this “prep is hip” mentality gets me confused. It’s what I call the Ezra Koenig Illusion — I’ll see an attractive looking guy dressed in some snazzy collared shirt and boat shoes, and it becomes impossible for me to tell whether he’s a cool, modern dresser or if he’s just a local fraternity brother. So complicated!
For those who want to get in touch with their inner prep, I present these options:
Clockwise from top left:
1. Side Tie Long Line Shirt, Topshop (£28.00)
2. Blair Mini Bow Earrings, Fred Flare ($9.00)
3. Fitted Necktie Shirt, Gap ($48.00)
4. St. Bart Short, Forever 21 ($17.80)
5. School’s Out Oxford, Urban Outfitters (on sale for $24.99)